SHAPE OF WEIGHTS OF DIFFERENT CLASS AS PER INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION OF LEGAL METROLOGY
Weights shall have a simple geometrical shape to facilitate their manufacture. They shall have no sharp edges or corners to prevent their deterioration and no pronounced hollows to prevent deposits (i.e. of dust) on their surface. Weights of a given weight set shall have the same shape, except for weights of 1 g or less.
- Weights less than or equal to 1 g:- Weights less than 1 g shall be flat polygonal sheets or wires, with shapes according to Table given below, which permit easy handling. Weights of 1 g may be flat polygonal sheets or wires. The shape of weights not marked with their nominal value shall conform to the values given in Table below.
Shape of weights of 1 g or less:-
- Weights of 1 g up to 50 kg:-
- A 1 g weight may have either the shape of multiples of 1 g weights or the shape of sub-multiples of 1 g weights.
- These weights may also have a cylindrical or slightly tapered conical body. The height of the body shall be between 3/4 and 5/4 of its mean diameter.
- These weights may also be provided with a lifting knob which has a height between 0.5× and 1× the mean diameter of the body.
- In addition to the above shapes, weights of 5 kg to 50 kg may have a different shape suitable for their method of handling. Instead of a lifting knob, they may have rigid handling devices embodied with the weights, such as axles, handles, hooks or eyes, etc.
- Class M weights with nominal values from 5 kg to 50 kg may also have the shape of rectangular parallelepipeds with rounded edges and a rigid handle.
- Weights greater than or equal to 50 kg
- Weights greater than or equal to 50 kg may have cylindrical, rectangular or other suitable shapes. The shape shall provide for safe storage and handling.
- Weights greater than or equal to 50 kg may be provided with rigid handling devices, such as axles, handles, hooks, eyes, etc.
- If class M weights are intended to run on a flat floor (or on rails), they shall be equipped with roller tracks or grooves of limited area.